Friday, November 1, 2013

Picture Book Month 2013 Champion: Tomie dePaola


Head on to the website of http://picturebookmonth.com/">Picture Book Month
where you'll read http://picturebookmonth.com/2013/11/why-picture-books-are-important-by-tomie-depaola/">Tomie dePaola's explanation on the importance of picture books
. Here's an excerpt that touched my heart -
I propose that Picture Books can be great art and great art makes for a great people and a great society. Perhaps this is not necessarily true, but would this attitude be so damaging? I think not.
Tomie dePaola is known among Filipino school librarians and teachers as the author of Strega Nona, The Pop Corn Book, and The Clown of God to mention a few. He whips up another magical tale in his new book Strega Nona Does It Again.

My short take on the importance of picture books will be posted on November 23. My Daddy! My One and Only (Lampara Books, 2013) a book I wrote with illustrations by the very talented Jomike Tejido, is the featured book of the day.

If you are celebrating Picture Book Month, blog or tweet about your activities. Use the hashtag #picturebookmonth. Tag me if you upload pictures and activities over at FB. You can also visit the website of Picture Book Month (PBM) and tell Dianne De LasCasas, founder of PBM, of your activities.

Read! Share! Celebrate!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...