Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Thank You Ms. Neni!

Last week, several writing organizations, reading advocacy groups and industry stakeholders gathered to bid goodbye and thank Ms. Neni Sta. Romana Cruz for eight fruitful years of service to the National Book Development Board. Held at the Training Hall of JRich Holdings, the office of Precious Pages and Lampara Books, Ms. Neni was feted, serenaded and given a tribute she will remember forever. After all, for us, we believe that "Neni is Forever".

I knew Ms. Neni as far back as childhood. Because my mother, a librarian, worked at the International School Manila, she brought me to work during summer and had me spend the day at the Children's Media Center. There, Ms. Neni held office. She is not a librarian. She is a writer and a reader; a lover of books and a children's literature advocate. All through my growing up year in high school and college, Ms. Neni and I would cross paths. As a young librarian, I dared join the PBBY's 1st Storytelling Contest. During that time, she was its President.

And the rest is history for me and Ms. Neni.

We were together in Sa Aklat Sisikat as trainors, advocates in PBBY and partners in the staging of the first National Children's Book Awards. She is off now to a long awaited vacation and retirement beckons. What a wonderful life!

Below are links to blog posts about Ms. Neni and to some where I just had to mention her because she is worth all the credit.

When Ms. Neni asked me about literacy teaching without using books at all.
When Ms. Neni got curious about blogging as a writing exercise
When Ms. Neni recommended me to speak in the Reading Conference in Bangkok
When Ms. Neni became my editor
When working with Ms. Neni becomes a delightful experience
When Ms. Neni stands beside you to cut a ribbon 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...