Friday, August 2, 2019

Library Sessions at the Start of the Academic Year 2019-2020

I am preparing for next week's library orientation and research session with our Griffins. The teacher in me is excited to go back to school, officially, and meet new and returning students. Another part of me is missing vacation already. Such is life.

I will be sharing the presentation I use for library orientation next week. While there are common ideas and library concepts I will be discussing, I have prepared specific activities for each grade level. In the Beacon Academy, our small class size affords us a very personal and differentiated approach to instruction. Read this link on Library Orientation 2018 as the activities I put together last year will be used as spring board to this year's session.

What I am excited to work on this year is the Reading Without Walls Program with the Student Council. This has been our reading campaign since 2017. Read about Gene Luen Yang's Reading Without Walls Campaign that we adapted in the Academy. Here is a link to a post about the campaign and how we operationalized the it. Involving student leaders in the campaign may prove to be helpful as the program will be promoted among peers.

Lastly, as I am to meet the grade 9s on Monday, August 5 for our Foundation Week activities, I will be giving an introductory session on research.


Looking through my files, I will also be using worksheets on media and information literacy which I have made and implemented with previous grades 9 and 10 students. Links to the worksheets are here: The Old Bike and Hitler's Ghost.

Keep up and visit the blog this week as I will post how things went during the sessions.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...