Sunday, January 21, 2018

I am a Human Book!

When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground. ~ African Proverb

I made another visit to our neighbour, the De La Salle University Science and Technology Centre (DLSU STC) Canlubang. I was there as an invited guest in the Human Library project. I was one of their Human Books.

The DLSU STC community conducts the Human Library every year with the objective of opening avenues to understand people who come from different backgrounds, experiences, social status and circumstances in life. It prompts participants to listen to Human Books and create opportunities to dialogue with them. This way, stereotypes and prejudices are challenged. In previous years, invited Human Books included a politician, a peace advocate, a Chinese immigrant to the Philippines, a naturalised Indian Filipino, the university's security guard, a sar-sari store vendor, a single parent, a cop with a disability.

With Candy May Schif and Willian San Andres Frias
I was there to tell stories about being a librarian, a blogger and author as well. I had two sessions each with high school students (grade 7-9) and senior high school students (grade 10-12). The younger group was eager to ask questions about books and reading, that my work as librarian is perceived as boring by others, what career opportunities await a library and information science graduate and if I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I don't know where that question came from, but it was probably the design and layout of my presentation slide. I was also very conscious of the time allotment. The older group was more interested in knowing my life as an author and the back stories of each of my published books. Both group of students were interested at knowing life outside the classroom and the grown ups who populate the community they belong to. I honestly answered all their questions with all honesty especially the one with the OCD issue.

I had fun interacting with students. In a way, I also learned from them. Young people are curious. Young people have a lot to say. I think we need to listen to them too.

During the lunch at the common room, I had a good time chatting and knowing the Human Books who were guests like me. I met Susan Quimpo, who was my art therapist two summers ago. I met friends from the DLSU Library System. It was like attending a reunion!

The librarians of the DLSU STC really did a good job putting this together. And, I have to say this, the teaching and non-academic staff gave their all out support. The Human Library is one program that helps develop empathy among people, young and old alike.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...