The Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY) is now accepting entries for the 2005 PBBY-Salanga Prize. The contest is co-sponsored by the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) and The National Library. The winner will be given P25,000.00, a gold medal, and an opportunity to be published. Prizes will be awarded in an appropriate ceremony to be held during the celebration of National Children's Book Day on July 18, 2006.
1. The contest is open to all Filipino citizens except those who are related to any PBBY member up to the third degree of consanguinity.
2. Stories should be intended for children aged 6 to 12 years old. The plot and the sequence must be capable of sustaining an illustrated book of 28 to 32 pages.
3. Entries may be in Filipino or English.
4. Entries must be in hard copy, double-spaced, on short bond paper. Maximum length is five (5) pages.
5. A contestant may send in more than one (1) entry.
6. Each entry must be signed by a pen name only. Five (5) copies of each entry should be placed in an envelope, on the face of which only the pen name of the contestant should appear.
7. Together with each entry, contestants must submit a second envelope, on the face of which the pen name shall appear. This must contain the contestant's full name, address, contact numbers, a short literary background, and a notarized certification from the author, vouching for the originality of the entry and for the freedom of the organizers from any liability arising from the infringement of copyright in case of publication, and affirming that the entry or any variant thereof has a) never been published nor b) won any other contest i.e. that it has never won 1st, 2nd, 3rd, honorable mention in any other contest or otherwise been awarded a medal, a citation, or included in a publicized list of meritorious entries to a literary contest.
8. All entries must be sent through snail mail to the PBBY Secretariat, c/o Adarna House, Inc., Room 102, JGS Building, 30 Scout Tuazon St., Quezon City.
9. All entries must be received by the PBBY Secretariat no later than 5:00 p.m., October 28, 2005.
10. Winners will be announced no later than November 25, 2005. Non-winning entries may be claimed at the PBBY Secretariat until December 16, 2005.
The winning story will be the basis for the 2005 PBBY-Alcala Prize. For more details, interested parties may contact the Philippine Board on Books for Young People, at Room 102, JGS Building, 30 Scout Tuazon St., Quezon City, Telefax 372-3548 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.