Friday, December 6, 2019

With Readers and RAPers (2 of 2)

Delivering a plenary session during the RAP Demofest was a meaningful experience for me. It was a platform for me to advocate the roles that school librarians play in teaching and learning, especially where Information Literacy skills is concerned. Not many school librarians are given this opportunity, so I treasure this very much indeed. I also had the honor of listening to Dr. Dina Ocampo delivers the keynote address.

Since the theme of the Demofest is about multiliteracies, Dr. Ocampo focused her keynote on the teaching of critical thinking and comprehension. Using critical theory as a base of her claim, teachers are all the more challenged to continuously examine and reflect on teaching practices. It was an inspiring and thoughtful keynote All the more,  I am prompted to look at my own teaching practices in a scholarly approach towards professional development. This means, applying research on professional practice and doing self assessment and evaluation to its effects. 

Easier said than done, I know. But there is no better way to begin than today. And, build allies along the way. I am sure of one thing. My participation in the RAP Demofest has definitely strengthened the awareness of  teacher-librarian partnerships. At the same time, RAP is valuable ally in our (school librarians) quest for the advocacy of literacy. 

How to forge a formidable alliance? The adventure continues! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...