Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Movie Review: Klaus

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_(film)
Klaus (2019)
Aniventure
Director: Sergio Pablos
Screenplay by: Sergio Pablos, Jim Mahoney and Zach Lewis

I heard friends talk about Klaus as a heartwarming take on the legend of Santa Claus. It has good reviews online as well, so I included the movie in my list to validate what I have read and heard. It did not disappoint.

The animation is amazing, smooth and clean. I enjoyed the colors: beige, mocha, blue and gray. I am not a fan of steam punk, but it is the movie and it grew on me. The 19th century setting of the movie was a factor, I think. It is old and miserable, sentimental and full of hope all at the same time.

Of the many Santa Claus portrayals I have seen over the years, this Klaus is now my favorite. This Klaus has a past, does not talk much and perceives signs in nature around him. All the stories and details that made Santa Claus a legend are in the movie. Watching these scenes were all comforting as I dig deep into childhood memories of the rituals of gift giving. What made this legend all the more real to me (while watching an animated movie) was the rendition of the stories about Klaus told by the children as Jesper, who is actually the lead character, delivers all of the toys that Klaus made for them. That is the power of imagination right there. Truth and faith as well.

In the end, I gained a new insight about Klaus. He wants us to play. He wants us to laugh. In play and in laughter, we become.

Rating/Recommendation: 4 of 5
Go and stream it! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...