Tuesday, November 5, 2019

With Readers and RAPers (1 of 2)

At the tail end of October, I found myself in Iloilo once more. The last time I was there was in August for an accreditation visit under the auspices of PAASCU (Philippine Association of Accrediting Schools Colleges and Universities). Being back in Iloilo the second time this year made me see where its charm lies: good food and a love for learning.

No wonder that the Reading Association of the Philippines once again conducted and ran the annual Demofest there. Around 200 teachers from the region and beyond registered in the Demofest. The venue was at Ateneo de Iloilo Sta.Maria Catholic School, a Chinese Jesuit school in Mandurriao Iloilo. Memories of my years in Xavier School came flooding back.

Since it was a brief stay, I only get to stroll in the surrounding areas. Just across Ateneo de Iloilo is the Atria Mall where local food and restaurants catering to the locals and visitors abound. Tatoy's, of course, and Biscocho House are within the commercial complex. Nearby is an old oven, a monument for Donato Militante Pison, Iloilo’s local hero who innovated and revolutionized the sugar industry. A few meters away is a strip of commercial establishments of hotels, insurance companies and, learning centers on math, reading and writing. 

This is only one town in Iloilo. The locals are proud of their beaches and places to eat with friends and family. Alongside this penchant for food, friendship and family bonding is the value and investment they put in education. During my plenary session, participants displayed a quiet engagement. At lunch, I had a book signing and demo lesson plan presentation. 

Iloilo, I shall return! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...