Saturday, November 23, 2019

Illustrator of the Month: Ghie Cabalar (1 of 2)

When A Book Talks, my seventh children's book with Lampara Books was launched last Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at the National Library of the Philippines. The illustrations were rendered by Ghie Cabalar. Read up on her interview below. 

1. Who is Ghie Cabalar?

My name is Ghie. I am a licensed librarian and a graduate of Bachelor in Library and Information Science at Polytechnic University of the Philippines. I had units for my Master's degree in UP.  Two years after, I decided to go back to my passion since I was a kid. From then on, I took my second degree in Bachelor of Fine Arts Major in Painting at the University of the Philippines, which I haven't finished yet. For my hobbies other than drawing and painting, I read a lot of books, articles, and epubs. I often listen to podcasts and audiobooks especially while traveling.  Human behavior, psychoanalysis, metaphysics, arts, cats, fiction books, constellations are the things that fascinate me. I'm currently a freelance artist so I work from home and sometimes work on field painting mural works on walls.

2. Which came first, librarianship or art and illustrating?


Art came first.  I started enjoying doodling on papers even before I start learning how to write. My interest and skills in art flourished during elementary and High school since I became our school representative for editorial cartooning and on-the-spot poster making competitions. These opportunities eventually led me to become our batch's Artist of the Year and PGMA awardee for Culture and Arts during our HS graduation. Librarianship came in college. But my love for literature and libraries were already established since I first learn how to read. Books captivate my interest since I received my first fiction book. I fell in love with books because of the texture of the paper, the alluring smell of the book: old and new and especially, the different kinds of emotions and incredible experience it brings.

3. How does being a librarian inform your art and vice versa?
Librarianship taught me the skills in finding the right and credible resources. My skills in knowledge acquisition helped me during my transition from being a professional librarian to becoming a fulltime artist. I considered myself a lifelong learner. Thus, I read and browsed a lot of art-related materials. I also do some research on art inspiration,  tutorials, principles, and theories. My purpose is to grow and expand my artistic vocabulary and knowledge. Knowing how copyright works and being aware of issues on plagiarism are essential parts of being a librarian and artist too. Hence, it is my practice to always see to it to give proper credit to the right people. I also help my fellow artists and art enthusiasts by providing reference sources that are available on the web. I even encourage them to visit their local libraries if they want to further study their materials. Librarianship also molds me into becoming a responsible art producer.





Part 2 of her interview will be posted within the week. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...