Sunday, November 24, 2019

Illustrator of the Month: Ghie Cabalar (2 of 2)

Here is part 2 of the interview with Ghie Cabalar, librarian and illustrator of When A Book Talks (Lampara House, 2019).

4. What was your approach in illustrating When A Book Talks?

Upon receiving the manuscript of When A book talks, I felt the overwhelming happiness. I'm a fan of Ms. Gagatiga's works, so it was a dream come true to collaborate with her.  I read and reread the story. I analyzed the characters involved. It was fun exploring the book because the topic is very close to my heart. I conceptualized for the character design. It's a poem, so I have to interpret the lines. I underlined words that will highlight the things or emotions that the character wants to convey. As an avid reader, I assessed my process of reading and recalled my favorite books. This approach helped me reflect my memories as a reader and include them to create the perspective of the book, which is the main character.  I drew and colored them traditionally. I experienced having self-doubts because it was my first book. However, I challenged myself to conquer them. I experimented on using different art mediums and approach them in various art styles. I do these until I came up with something that I am happy and proud of.


5. Your 5 Favorite Books for Kids
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Geronimo Stilton series by Elisabetta Dami
Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
A Series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan

6. Your Advice for Young Artists


Art is self-discovery. It is a journey and a reflection of one's soul.  So, I want to encourage young artists to start exploring. Let go of your inhibitions and start creating. Enjoy your art process. Create happy little accidents according to Bob Ross.😉 


Continue to strive hard and practice a lot. Be a lifelong learner. Collaborate with different people. Expand your inspirations and influence. Ask questions. Read quality books. Avoid plagiarism. Give proper credits. It's good to take inspiration from other people's work but improve your work by injecting your creativity and identity. Someday you'll find your artistic voice, the things that make 
your artwork unique and personal.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...