Thursday, March 24, 2016

Poems Received and Given on World Poetry Day

Apart from the Book Spine Poetry Fest I set up in school to celebrate World Poetry Day, I posted an old poem I composed back in 2004 in my FB Timeline. It is a poem I use as a lead banner for my personal blog, The Coffee Goddess.

i arise from the earth
the aroma of soil sweetly intoxicating
is locked in my bosom
comesmell me
taste me
and make it quick
for my spirit flies
as swift as the wind
to the heavens
where i truly belong

Before March 21, I joined a poetry meme where a favorite poem is sent to the person, either known or not, in the list. I am supposed to get twenty poems, but only got one.

INVICTUS  
--William Henley
Out of the night that covers me,   
Black as the pit from pole to pole,  
I thank whatever gods may be   
Beyond this place of wrath and tears  
It matters not how strait the gate,
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance 
I have not winced nor cried aloud. 
Under the bludgeonings of chance 
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Looms but the Horror of the shade, 
And yet the menace of the years 
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.
How charged with punishments the scroll, 
I am the master of my fate:I am the captain of my soul.

And a poetic line from a novel by Paulo Coelho

“Life takes us by surprise and orders us to move toward the unknown -even when we don't want to and when we think we don't need to.” 
― Paulo CoelhoBy the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept

The poem reminds me of how strong the human spirit can become in times of struggle. The verse from the Coelho novel affirms it. Such wonderful gifts of poetry. To the strangers who sent me these powerful words, I thank thee with all my heart and wishes you well. 

Happy Poetry Day!


1 comment:

aganday said...

I got two ;) thanks for keeping me in the loop :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...