Friday, August 28, 2009

The Perks of Storytelling

Last Thursday, I was at Lantana, Cubao telling stories to preschool and primary grades students. My program included two book based Storytelling, draw-and-tell, participative telling and several stories from Dianne De Las Casas' Handmade Tales. For this session, I told Ang Alamat ng Lamok, Pandakotyong and Ang Mahiwagang Biyulin from the Lola Basyang Series of Anvil/

It was an enjoyable session! I was amazed at the kids' reactions when after each telling, a group of them would hug me or give me a kiss. There were several boys and girls in the grade one level who even asked for blessings (mano po). The perks! The school Immaculada Concepcion Cathedral School is a Catholic school. I was there the whole day. My voice was nearly lost at the end of the gig, but, after an hour or so of quiet time, it got back to its normal strength.

There I met the librarian, Ms. Divina Ramirez who attended my workshop on storytelling in 2004. I was so embarrassed for I no longer remember her. She was so proud to tell me that she follows the library activities I shared in the workshop like author visits and yes, regular storytelling.

A storyteller in the Philippines doesn't earn much. Then again, when I think about it, nothing will compensate the work that a storyteller does. I delight in meeting people and performing, losing myself to their smiles, their laughters and the emotions they give back. I am thankful to Anvil Publishing, and people who continuously give me the opportunity to do what I am passionate about.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...