Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Illustrator of the Month: Bleps Dapo

Bleps is thankful to be a full-time mom 
and part-time art director
and illustrator. She is a graduate of
the UP College of Fine Arts

I Say Thank You is illustrated by Bleps Dapo. 

She lent her time to answer these questions about illustrating our book; her favorite picture books of all time; and shares what she is most grateful for in life. Do follow the link of the animated video she made of a bedtime activity with her son. It is brimming with joy, grace and, of course, gratefulness. 

1. Describe your creative process or approach in illustrating I Say Thank You. What intrigued you or drawn you in that kickstarted ideas for the illustrations and drawings?


When I first read the story ‘I Say Thank You’, it reminded me of the time when my kids and I started this bedtime activity where we asked each other what we were thankful for that day. I felt that this story was meant for me, so I didn’t really have a hard time visualizing what to draw
J The images in my mind flowed out smoothly.


I actually made a simple animated video of one of our bedtime activity when my little boy was only 4 years old. Here’s a link in case you want to hear it.
What Are you Thankful For?

2.   What are your favorite picture books and children’s books and why? 


Magnificent Benito and His two Front Teeth
Written by Augie Rivera and Mike Rivera
Illustrated by Jason Moss

My daughter and I really enjoyed this unique book about a boy named Benito, who was born with very big and strong two front teeth. People laughed at his appearance, so he tried everything just to get rid of his huge teeth but failed. In the end, he embraced his uniqueness and discovered that his “ugly” teeth were actually a unique blessing that could create beautiful things.


Fish for Two
Written by Becky Bravo
Illustrated by Jason Moss

I really like this beautifully illustrated story about Clara, a kid who loves to eat fish but hates Cats. Maybe the reason I like this so much is because I had a lot of pet cats too when I was a little girl.


Tikki Tikki Tembo
Written by Arlene Mosel
Illustrated by Blair Lent

The story is about a boy with a very long name who fell into a well. My kids and I enjoyed this book because the boy’s unique and insanely long name left us out of breath every time we said it.

3.   What tips can you give aspiring artists and illustrators for children?

Just keep on drawing. I wanted to become a book illustrator for the longest time but my dream was pushed aside when I became too busy with work and family. So, during my free time, I practiced and practiced. Even when there were no book projects, I continued to practice and improve my craft. Also, you can join organizations like Ang Ilustrador ng Kabataan (Ang InK), where you will learn a lot from the best Filipino illustrators like Liza Flores and Beth Paroccha-Doctolero.

What are you most grateful for?

I am most grateful for my family, especially my kids. They bring so much joy in my life.

I Say Thank You will be launched at the Manila International Book Fair on September 11-15, 2024.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...