Monday, July 29, 2024

Ahjumma Reviews: Nam Joohyuk in Start Up and Twenty Five Twenty One

During my convalescence, I caught up on Kdramas I missed from previous years. One of them is Start-Up. Now I know what everyone was raving about back in 2020. I’m Team Do-san since Day 1 and watching Nam Joohyuk portray the role was to me, a stunning revelation.
I first saw Nam Joohyuk in Twenty Five Twenty One wherein he held his own as lead to Kim Taeri, which is a feat because Kim Taeri’s charm and screen presence is remarkable. He was able to match her charisma with a quiet pain and understated vulnerability. Taeri’s vibrant energy and Joohyuk’s under the radar intensity complemented each other making their chemistry a key factor in the Kdrama’s success.
Having seen Start-Up recently, I was impressed even more at how Joohyuk essayed the role of a young entrepreneur who was struggling with internal and external conflicts - his own and society’s, too. The camera loves his face, especially in scenes of deep sorrow and regret. Even without the tears, there is an entire unexplainable context to know and discover. I love looking at his eyes in the scenes with his father: at home admitting his folly; in the auditorium on Demo Day; and when he was driving his mother on her way home upon his return as a successful IT engineer.

Of course, Kim Seon-ho’s Ji Pyeong is the perfect character foil who made it all work for Dodal.
Needless to say, I’m in my Nam Joohyuk phase. Watching Vigilante now and searching through streaming platforms for Cheese in the Trap, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-ju and the Light in Your Eyes. My Kdrama watch list remains long but, Joohyuk’s restrained and nuanced performances have a subtle but captivating appeal that draws me in every time.

#KdramaIsLife #startup #TeamDoSan 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...