Saturday, December 31, 2022

2022 Blog Review: My Monthly 1st Posts of 2022

Keeping a blog tradition, here's my monthly first posts of 2022.

January - My Reading Inventory 2021 

Things have been tough at the homestead with COVID scare and news of infection from friends and relatives. It is hitting us so close to home. Needless to say, the pandemic is challenging each and everyone of us to respond in the most proactive and graceful manner. Tells self: bring out your inner Ms. Universe. Or rather, bring out your inner Dora, as in, Kimmy Dora! 

FebruaryBA Library Pop Talk: : Heroism in Anime, DC and the Marvel Universe

So, the library is hosting another event this month, February. Sharing the proposed activity here in the blog.

DESCRIPTION AND OBJECTIVE:

The People Power Revolution of 1986 took place on EDSA in the month of February. It was an age populated by different political and religious personalities that turned the tide of Philippine politics and social life. It has been 37 years since. Many things have changed including the way we perceive and define heroes and heroism, villains and villainy and the characters and personalities that exist in between the spectrums. It is but appropriate to revisit this place where heroes and villains trod but from the lens of pop culture and literature, particularly comic books, graphic novels and popular superhero movies and films. The goal is to find parallels to the current political climate while exploring these relevant but controversial issues in a safe space, though masked and mirrored through art and literature.

March - Direct Instruction and Explicit Teaching

One of the things I have been busy with since recovering from COVID-19 was co-facilitating a DepEd Teacher Training organized by Center for Educational Measurement, Inc. The past four session leaned heavily on theories on language and literacy teaching, especially the psychology and nature of reading. Tonight, we had a session on Direct and Explicit Instruction. I have a group of teachers I monitor, supervise and learn from. Most of them are very new to the ideas we are discussing in the training. Speaking for myself, I am also learning new things and re-learning strategies to teach literacy for students in the K-12 levels.

April - The Philosopher's Path

I have walked / The way of the wise / I have trodden on / Philosopher’s ground

A path strewn with / flowers all in bloom / A moment / Of awakening / Gone too soon

Kyoto, 2015

ZarahG 4.1.22

May - A New Book Project: Philippine Folktales Remiganed

In April, I began a new adventure. 

June - Can you teach me how to make a book?

 Let's begin June with a question from a young reader, Ryannah. She loves books and from my observations, her taste and reading choices are varied and diverse!

July - National Children's Book Day is Children's Day

A friend from work, Mayen Lopez sent me a photo of a newspaper clipping from the Inquirer circa 2006. It is an article written by Neni Sta. Romana Cruz on the 2006 National Children's Book Day (NCBD). 

August - Book Launch: Sulatan sa Panahon ng Pandemya

I was down with very bad diarrhea on Saturday last week I thought I would miss the book launch of Sulatan sa Panahon ng Pandemya (Gantala Press, 2022). It is a book project that took a year to complete. Edited by Merlinda Bobis, Joi Barrios LeBlanc and Mailin Paterno, it is a collection of letters by women and of women living through and surviving with grace and wonder during the pandemic.

September - PPT: Focus and Method

A slide deck on Research Skills: Focus and Method, a session I had with our high school seniors.

OctoberThe Lighthouse Diary Entry #44: Research Month at the Academy (2 of 2)

Taking note of three wonderful things that happened last September regarding research skills instruction.

November - Movie Review on Ghost (An Intergenerational Review)

On Hallow's Eve, we decided to watch Ghost, the 1990 smash hit movie that defined my generation. A genXer, I was proud telling my kids about it. How it spawned the pixie haircut among girls my age because Demi Moore looked so androgynously charming. The soundtrack and the movie theme song marked an era too. Even the visual effects and the chemistry of the cast were points I bragged to my kids since it was perfect. 

December - Notes and Letters of Thanks from Grade 2 Students of the UP Integrated School

I received a host of messages from grade 2 students of the University of the Philippines Integrated School. I visited their class last month for an Author Visit. It was fun. As always, the teachers of the class sent me the students' letters and messaged. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...