Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Ghost: An Intergenerational Review

On Hallow's Eve, we decided to watch Ghost, the 1990 smash hit movie that defined my generation. A genXer, I was proud telling my kids about it. How it spawned the pixie haircut among girls my age because Demi Moore looked so androgynously charming. The soundtrack and the movie theme song marked an era too. Even the visual effects and the chemistry of the cast were points I bragged to my kids since it was perfect. 

I punctuated my story boasting of the Oscars that the movie snagged that year -- a Best Supporting Actress trophy for Whoopi Goldberg and a scriptwriting award for Bruce Joel Rubin.

While my children, ages 25 and 21 years old went "awww" and "oooh" at the romantic scenes, cringed at the right parts of the movie and laughed their hearts out at Whoopi Goldberg, the ending left them underwhelmed. 

Here is why.

Nico has this to say about the movie (25 years old). It was pretty good. Though it would have left an impact in me if it ended with an epilogue. Sam got his ending. But I want to know what happened to Molly and Oda Mae. It isn't just Sam's story. He is the "ghost" but, he haunted Molly and Oda Mae. What of Molly's grief and Oda Mae's new found skills?

And to this, Zoe, added. That movie is male-centric. Women characters were seen from the male gaze. Ugh. The gender politics (eyes rolling)! Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg are strong actors, visually and talent wise they deserve better than merely foils to Sam's character development. It does mark your generation, mom.

I couldn't agree more. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...