Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Kuwentong Bangtan: Mono and Me

I love Mono for its sophisticated sound and wholeness. It has seven tracks that are sonically distinct from each other but with one musical theme tying the songs together. The bass and down beats tug at the heartstrings so it is best to listen to the mixtape on headphones. Despite the moody and gloomy tones, there is the sharpness of light permeating in each song. Hope, yes. And the acceptance of realities that no one else can change. This too is light, emanating in the darkness.

It is what it is. Live with it. But also, make the most of it. This is Mono’s message to me and it has comforted me many times especially on days when sanity hangs by a thread. The Bangtan creativity is not lost in Mono. Because, while RM sings of his own pain, struggles and beliefs, he also sings to me; to us who care enough to listen to his stories. Offering encouragement and companionship as he goes.

Needless to say, Mono is a journey in which RM sings and raps away his feelings and anxieties of a future yet to come. It is a quiet and soothing reflection about change, isolation and the unending quest for meaning. Deeply introspective and beautifully poetic, Mono is by far, RM’s definitive work as a solo performer and artist.


This is RM in 2018. Who is the Kim Namjoon we are to meet in Indigo? My insides are tittering with excitement!

I leave you with the MV of ‘forever rain’ and a painting of rain falling softly on monochromatic green mountains and gray skies by Christabel Annelle Sevilla. How it reminds me that, as I walk through midlife and menopause, in this phase of empty nesting and claiming autonomy of self, I am not alone. I am never alone.

The painting is her response and personal take on RM’s painting in ITS season 2. What precious gifts these are that have been given to me. I am forever grateful.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...