Sunday, July 11, 2021

Author Interview: KM Levis

KM Levis, author of The Girl Between Two Worlds, was one of the panelist in the 2021 Asian Festival of Children's Content (AFCC) held last May in Singapore. The AFCC, like the previous one, was conducted online. In her panel, she talked about writing for young people in an age that is more complex and interconnected. 

She grants my invitation for an interview in the blog. And so, here she is!

What or who is your inspiration for writing We Have It All?

I wrote We Have It All as a tribute to my childhood in the Philippines. I thought I could share my stories with my daughter and others like her who will never grow up with that kind of childhood. I wanted them to know that even though we didn’t have all the technology then, we still had a great time.

Briefly describe the publishing scene or children’s book industry in Australia. You can share something about opportunities and limitations for authors of color.

Over the years, I’ve seen a shift in the publishing industry here in Australia to reflect the multicultural nature of the society. There is still a long way to go though. For instance, there aren’t many Fil-Aus books and Fil- Aus authors in the industry. I hope to be able to contribute to the diversity of the publishing industry here with my own work.

In the AFCC, you talked about The Girl Between Two Worlds that is rich with Filipino myths and folklore. Can you please share the challenges and breakthroughs you had in writing the book?

It was a bittersweet experience writing about creatures from my childhood. I really wanted the book to be published so my daughter could read about them and experience that part of her heritage. When I received such amazing feedback from readers, about how they enjoyed the creatures as well, I felt that I’ve done my job preserving some part of our Filipino mythology.

What is the YA novel you wish you had written?

This is a good question, but when I read a really great book I don’t really end up wishing I’ve written it because it would have been written differently. I would wish that the author would write more books because I enjoyed the previous books. I take inspiration from their works and learn from them.

Please recommend books for the aspiring YA or children’s book writer.

These were the books I read while I was learning how to write fiction. They all helped in different ways. 

On Writing, Stephen King

Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott

How to write a novel, 2nd edition, Nathan Bransford


Links to KM Levis' online spaces

https://kristynmlevis.com/

Photos: https://kristynmlevis.com/index.php/photos/

Where to buy: https://kristynmlevis.com/index.php/buy-your-copy-now/

https://www.facebook.com/KMLevisWriter/

https://www.instagram.com/k.m.levis/



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...