Sunday, June 27, 2021

Book Review: We Have It All

We Have It All
By Kristyn Maslog-Levis
Illustrated by Angela Taguiang
Createspace, 2015

Last month, I had the pleasure and the honor of attending the 2021 Asian Festival of Children's Content AFCC. The program has a rich array of talks, webinars and mini-workshops. This is my second attendance in the AFCC and I feel well fed. In fact, I still have some sessions in my watch list for viewing since there were talks that overlapped. 

One of the many things I appreciate about the AFCC is the availability of books to acquire. This year, there are many titles to choose from. Yes... my AFCC watch list is as long as my to read and buy list. Since our summer has begun, I had the time to review them. My first pick is Kristyn Malsog-Levis' illustrated story book, We Have It All. 

It is written in two languages, Filipino and Bisaya. Angela Taguiang's collage evokes nostalgia. Her illustrations fit perfectly in my reading of the story. I saw my childhood in the pages of the book. I know what it was like not to own material things and this was something I grappled with in my growing up years. 

But now, I know better. There is a line in the book that goes, "sabi ni ina malaki ang aming imahinsayon." I heard my mother say that to me many times. My maternal grandmother, Nanay Leony, made sure that I recognize it every way she can. 

She told stories. She cooked meals that fed my soul. She healed me when I was sick before my mother could bring me to the doctor. She allowed me to play under the sun and in the rain. She grew and tended a garden and sang songs. She talked to plants which fascinated me. She had a sari-sari store where I learned basic math and reading. How can I forget Zuma and Galema when she bought komiks for me to read which later on were rented out to readers young and old.

Yes. Growing up, I had it all. Thank you, Ms. Levis for this wonderful story.

4 Bookmarks


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...