Friday, February 26, 2021

In Memoriam: Miguel Magpantay Cobaria (September 30, 1948 - February 22, 2021)

Back in November 2019, the CLAPI and the NLP organized a talk on Children’s Literature and they invited me to share developments in the book industry specifically on the publication of children’s books in recent years. Both agencies supported the launch of my 9th book with Lampara Books, “When A Book Talks” (Gagatiga and Cabalar, 2019). It had a good attendance from the public sector.

From the audience, it was Prof. Miguel “Mike” Cobaria who made himself known with projects and programs for inmates in Muntinlupa and the urban poor. He talked about the use of children’s literature to engage adults and young people to read. What an interesting topic to study, I thought. As if we have all the time in the world.

Sir Mike bought copies of my books that were on sale that day. He asked that I sign them for his community whom he visits every week for storytelling and Bibliotherapy sessions. I gladly obliged. Unknown to many, it was Sir Mike who inspired me to pursue Reading Guidance and Readers Advisory, Bibliotherapy and BookTalk Services at a time when everyone in Philippine Librarianship was crazy over IT applications in library management and operations. Productivity and efficiency are important goals for any library to achieve. Library automation and computerization were the answers. It was the 90s. Everyone was riding and jumping on the IT bandwagon. But someone has to work with teachers and parents so children and young people can build their confidence to learn how to read. Teachers need an ally. Parents need literacy partners and support systems. I chose that path. I decided to take on that role. I thank Sir Mike for opening that door of possibility. It has led me to amazing adventures and a continuing journey of self discovery.
It will take me a while to come to terms with his passing. The last time we met was in January 2020, a few weeks before lockdown. He attended the Bibliotherapy workshop I set up for librarians in the Southern Tagalog Region. We were preparing for volunteer work in evacuation centers in CALABARZON to conduct storytelling and Bibliotherapy sessions with children and their families who were displaced because of the eruption of Taal volcano. He already looked frail and feeble at the time but his mind and his spirit were animated with the grace and mercy of God. He invited me to join him in one of his outreach activities. I said yes, of course. But it never happened.



In his passing I felt I have lost not just a teacher and mentor but a dear friend as well. I console myself with the thought that Sir Mike will remain a kindred spirit.
Rest in God’s peace, Sir Mike! We will carry on!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...