Thursday, February 11, 2021

Ask A Librarian: Formatting and Parts of A Book

A colleague sent me a query the other day.

Hi Z, I am planning a session on the parts of a book, how chapter headers and summaries help, and what does being in boldface and italics mean for a reader. Do you have recommended sources?

Right away, I sent the books I use for such lessons with selected pages scanned and referenced. For the other topics that my colleague was looking for, I put together these web resources.

Here are links to websites that discuss the purpose of headers and summaries.


In general, your query is leading to the topic on Formatting in Writing/Reading. I am recommending books on MLA, APA and CMS which we have in the library. If you need the information ASAP, visit the respective websites of each and you will get a good grasp of the standard for each style. In any case, here is a website that has presents and overview - https://saylordotorg.github.io/text_business-english-for-success/s18-01-formatting-a-research-paper.html

As for your query of typography, it would signal what is important to the reader. A boldface shouts while an italic whispers. Kindly read on the roundup of links for a detailed discussion on each. 

See attached PDF for the purpose of italics and head on to this website on the 5 Functions of Italicization - https://www.brighthubeducation.com/english-homework-help/31210-five-rules-of-italicization/

As for boldface here is what I gathered:
I enjoy getting such queries and putting them together. The resources and websites go to the pathfinders and curated collection I keep for the community. There may be another who will be in need of the same information.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...