Monday, March 30, 2015

Filipino Librarian of the Month: Dolly Dolado-Carungui


Filipino Librarian Dolly Dolado Carungui shares her library story and the path she has taken towards becoming a librarian at the National Library of the Philippines.

What's your lib story? 

I am actually a graduate of a 2-year course, Computer Technology under the College of Engineering at University of the East, Manila way back April 1994. Since our building was also a library building, my classmates and I usually find time to visit the library during free time. This constant practice of making “tambay” in the library opened my interest to work in the library. Thus, after my graduation in my 2-year course I immediately enrolled for the program Bachelor of Science in Library Science (BSLS) in June 1994. While studying I was given the opportunity to be a Working Scholar (working student) in the Library. As a Working Scholar my tuition fee was free plus I got a monthly allowance of PhP400.00/month in exchange of 4 hours duty in the library in a day. I graduated in October 1997, got my license in December 1997 and landed my first job as librarian at the National Library of the Philippines on January 13, 1998.

What has been the greatest challenge you've faced so far as a licensed and working librarian? Why do you say it's a challenge?

I can't recall having any challenge/s being a licensed/working librarian. Probably because I love my profession, I love my work, and I love what I am doing in my Institution. For 16 years being a public librarian, I still find happiness and contentment servicing the public in the best that I can.


What is your area of expertise in LIS?

It's a tough question for me because I really don't know what particular library work I am an expert on. Let's just say that my experience include: being a reference librarian, multimedia librarian, children's librarian and recently since NLP is embarking into projects servicing PWDs I can probably say also as a “special librarian”.

What do you think are the requirements and preparations necessary for becoming a LIS professional?

First, you just have to develop that appreciation for libraries – its role in fostering education. Second, you should set your principles in delivering your services based on the Code of Ethics and while setting your principles be flexible. Librarians cater to different individuals and sometimes various environment.

What rewards have you reaped from being a LIS professional? 

I consider as a reward the opportunities to travel and meeting people which gives me the chance to collaborate with them and even learn from them. Also, simple compliments from my clients, colleagues and bosses is already a reward for me.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...