Thursday, January 2, 2014

Librarian-Storyteller: Martin Julius Perez


Martin Julius Perez shares his answers to my questions before we had our storytelling session in Sambat Elementary School with Sambat Trust scholars.
1. What motivated me to volunteer?
 At first I’m reluctant to join due to a busy schedule, but then I decided to volunteer. As a librarian and an advocate of reading and learning, I think I can help and contribute to this activity. I’m thankful that when I was younger, there are people who would share to me stories that inspired me and touched my life. This time, it is my chance to return the favor to the younger generation. I hope to inspire them with these little acts of mine.
 

2. What is my personal goal as a storyteller?
 When telling or sharing stories, I just want to put smiles in the faces of these children and to inculcate in their minds and hearts positive insights, values and lessons that will, in some way, have an impact in their lives. I want to promote reading for learning and for leisure, and to make them appreciate every story, whether it is short or long, simple or complicated. I want them to realize that in every story there’s something to learn and there’s an idea to capture for the development of their imagination and outlook in life.
 

3. What is my volunteer-storyteller experience prior to this activity?
I think the last time I volunteered for a storytelling activity was in an outreach program for patients of a children’s hospital in Quezon City. Also, aside from this, I love to share children’s stories to my little cousins at home.
 

4. What are my expectations from this experience?
I just wanted to have fun and to share what I have to these children. While they are learning, I think I will also learn from them and from their stories too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...