Sunday, February 18, 2024

Book Review: Crying in H Mart

 “Crying in H Mart” by Michelle Zauner is a book that JK of BTS mentioned in one of his lives last year. This is my first book off my BTSxARMY reading list for 2024. Zauner took me to places I have never been to yet like Seoul and states in the US such as Oregon, Philadelphia and New York. In the process, she let me in the spaces of her mind, which is funny and sensitive; and her heart which is vulnerable and strong.

Her narrative voice is tender and honest. Even the most painful events in her life are told in vivid metaphors. Her nostalgia is a well fermented kimchi. This is one of those books where tragedy is elevated as a most beautiful experience. Perhaps because, Zauner’s mother endowed her with the Korean “han” - the ability to be noble, if not, graceful in the face of suffering and grief.

Have lots of tissues nearby and if you are still nursing your own wounds and loss over a loved one, have this book for a later reading time. I share many of Zauner’s experiences as I am looking after my elderly parents who are both in need of medical care. Cathartic.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...