Sunday, January 29, 2023

January Author of the Month: John Patrick Solano (1 of 2)

The Author of the Month for January is Mr. John Patrick Solano (JPS). I admire his approach in writing about measurement and measuring in his most recent book Ang Dangkal ni Matmat (Tahanan Books). 

It is the math book I wish I had written. 

I am honored to be given this privilege for an interview with him. Such a talent whose voice we all need to hear!

1.    Zarah: Congratulations on winning the NCBA last year! I love your book so much; I wish I had written it. Growing up there weren’t many enjoyable books on math for kids. Even today, there are few books written about math concepts and skills in picture book and story book form. So, having said this, my first question is how – how did it all begin for you – the writing of a concept book on math for children?

      JPS: Thank you, Ms. Zarah! I both love math and writing. I studied BS Applied Mathematics in college and pursued MS Mathematics in graduate school. I also have a passion for writing since high school where I was the Associate Editor of our school paper. When I was taking up my MA in Malikhaing Pagsulat, I thought of combining these two in the form of children’s stories as my MA thesis because I want kids who have fear of numbers to enjoy learning math.

2.     Zarah: Who are your mentors and who do you dream of collaborating with on your next book project?

My mentor and number one critic is Sir Eugene Evasco who was also my MA thesis adviser. I learned a lot from him during my thesis writing. I want to collaborate with Jomike Tejido because I really like his illustrations! I love his books Ang Pambihirang Sombrero, Tagu-taguan: A Counting Book in Filipino, and Si Jepoy Dyip series, where each book has cut-out pages where you can build the characters and town in the book! I also dreamed of collaborating with Maam Bernadette Solina Wolf but it wouldn’t be possible now because of her untimely passing. You’re forever in our hearts, Maam Bernie!


Who is John Patrick Solano?

John Patrick F. Solano graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Mathematics from the Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Master of Science degree in Mathematics from the Prince of Songkla University in Thailand as a Thailand’s Education Hub for ASEAN Countries scholar, and Master of Arts degree in Malikhaing Pagsulat from the University of the Philippines Diliman. He was a fellow for Palihang Rogelio Sicat in 2017 and Cordillera Creative Writing Workshop and Angono Summer Writers Workshop in 2014. He won 2nd Prize at the 66th Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature (Filipino Poetry for Children) in 2016. He is the author of Paano Magbilang si Nanay?, published by Chikiting Books in 2020, which won Kids’ Choice Awards for Picture Books Category at the 7th National Children’s Book Awards, and Ang Dangkal ni Matmat, published by Tahanan Books in 2022.


Part 2 will be posted tomorrow! Visit again for another good read.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...