Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Book and Bangtan Song Review: Kafka on the Shore and Butterfly

Butterfly is the third track in BTS' fourth mini-album The Most Beautiful Moment in Life Pt.2. It has grown on me since we officially launched the TOB channel on Stationhead, TOB 0709 Radio, last June. The music is soothing and yet, in Bangtan fashion, "may kurot sa puso". And the lyrics, ohmama-my!

RM's verse tugs at my heart strings:
The small pieces guttered down darkly
From my heart, a barren noise
I don’t know if this is reality or a dream
My Kafka on the shore

Don’t go to those woods over there

My heart is still shattering on you
(I just wanted to vaporize like this)
My love that is forever
It's all free for you baby
~ from Genuis English Translations
It is crafty too since the lyrics have metaphors and references to Korean beliefs, pop culture and literature that makes the song so rich in meaning and in composition. Kafka on the Shore, a book by Haruki Murakami is in RM's verse. The themes of losing innocence and the fear of being detached to what is pure and beautiful permeate the novel. And so does Butterfly, the song.
Don't we all feel this way at some point in our lives?
Bangtan sings their experiences to us and we mirror them because these are significant life journeys we all go through. Loss and grief are never easy to manage and live through. Bangtan assures us that in the midst of pain and sacrifice, life goes on and there, joy can be found.
If you haven't read Kafka on the Shore, I recommend you pick up a copy as it is a good companion to Butterfly and the entire album, The Most Beautiful Moment in Life Pt.2.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...