Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Research and Library Skills Instruction: Understanding an Academic Paper

When students approach me for help in understanding an academic article, or when I get asked about the difference between an academic article and an article from an online website, I tell them this:
"Before reading that academic article, it is important to know its parts and what it means to you as a reader. If in the lower grades, you learned about the parts of the book, then it is time to learn about the academic paper and its components."
Knowing the parts of a book or an academic paper is a basic knowledge for citing sources, referencing and in making a bibliography. In addition, I use this infographic and photo of an academic journal "unpacked".



Previous to this inquiry, I have had sessions with the students via the English/Lit classes. My co-teacher had invited me to give a library skills lesson on using an encyclopedia and online sources.  For this lesson, I focused on accessing an article in an online encyclopedia and understanding the menus of WBOMy presentations can be views in these links: 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...