Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Lights: Companionship, Consolation and Comfort in the Songs of BTS

I won a BTS lamp in a talk show over on KUMU!

Super salamat @stillwatersph and Lee-An Rosal for taking time to talk with ARMY on the impact and the relevance of BTS beyond their hotness and the drawing power of their music and art as commercial successes. Nakakatuwa dahil may ARMY priest pa silang kasama sa show. For BTS to be a topic on an online show with the banner, Pop Theology: Usapang BTS, is proof of the extensive breadth and depth of the influence BTS has across generations. In this age of grief and loss, the BTS and Big Hit motto Music and Artist for Healing hits all the right spots.

Indeed, the Bangtan Boys and BH/Hybe have achieved their purpose. Topping the charts. Selling merch. Endorsements left and right. Collab after collab with the artists of their choice. However, Namjoon repeatedly said in many interviews and documentaries, that they want to be liked not only for their pretty faces and handsome looks. They want to matter. They want to know ARMY - our story. Such is the process of creation. This is what fuels creativity. Amazingly, the fandom is very much a part of this process of co-creation.

Never have I felt included and yes, loved by a boy band/Kpop group. Even ARMY, thecollective, has so much love and generosity to give to each other and aretolerant of the toxic ones in the fandom. There are ARMY who, with class and sass, would slip in articles, posts and comments in socmed and online communities on the value and ethos of BTS reminding everyone of the very reason why we are supportive of OT7. The relationship between BTS and ARMY has always been respectful, kind and sincere as evidenced in the art and music, reality shows and interviews that the Bangtan Boys put out on a regular basis. 



We are never short changed. We get what they promised and often times more. The Vlives last month were pleasant surprises – Jhope’s trip to the banyo to wash his hands; JK in see-through pajamas singing with nary a care in the world; V and Joonie jamming to Boys to Men; Jimin and Jin in their casual selves going live to touch base with fans but still looking so "adorkable". The boys reach out to ARMY and establishing that connection is automatic. They are our friends, brothers, children, nephews, BFFs of our children, godchildren, playmates of our kids, a student we mentor, a young professional in the office we learn from and the anak ng kapitbahay who frequents our house for meryenda or an afternoon of storytelling and games. We stan them and we see them growing up - which is good. 

We miss the boys during their down time, but the abundance of content to consume, re-watch and reread make up for it. With BTS, we never walk alone.

I have never been to a BTS concert, being a baby ARMY at the ripe old age of 47. I do share my love for the Bangtan Boys with my 20 year old daughter whose biases are Yoongi, Joonie and JK. Like me she gets wrecked all the time by Hobi, Jimin, Jin and V. In the end, we are OT7 all the way. 

Last night, as I marvel and mull over the phenomenon that is BTS and ARMY, my daughter turned the BTS lamp on. From my BTS playlist, I picked Lights from the BTS, the Best album. We listened to the song patiently waiting for the man of the house, our OG bullet proof boy scout, to come home from work in these perilous times.

“You're my light, you're my light 

Always shine into my heart 

You're my light you're my light

No matter how far apart we are 

Your light shines on me… All the angels who know pain 

Flying on damaged wings all through the night 

 Every time I’m thinking about love 

Every time I’m thinking about love…”

With BTS, their music and art, I find companionship, consolation and comfort.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...