Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Bibliotherapy Q and A: The Retelling of Classic Stories and Learning Gained Through the Years

Now I begin answering questions from the Bibliotherapy Workshop I had last October 30. Here goes!

Is it ok to change the story line of classic stories just to be appropriate to our children's age? I am thinking when they find out the real story when they grow po ba wala po bang masamang effect. Won't you look like a liar to your children?


No. It is not OK to change the story line of classic stories to make them appropriate for kids. What can be done is to look for condensed, digested, abridged or graphic novel copies of these classics that are appropriate for a specific age and stage of reading development of children. Movies and animated versions can also be considered for their viewing.

A quick look online can lead you to varied publishers and publishing houses that publishes classic stories for children. In the Philippines, I recommend you take a look at the online store and catalog of Lampara Books or Precious Pages Bookstore. They have classic stories for children and some are even translated in Filipino.


What is the most inspiring experience/s you encounter while doing bibliotheraphy? What are the challenges and how do you encounter it?


I have many inspiring experiences conducting bibliotherapy. To have students in the college and graduate level seek my advise and help on bibliotherapy is one. Having experienced to do a session with children who were cancer patients a few years ago was an inspiring and challenging one too.

I learned that bibliotherapy has a special purpose and that I have limitations as a storyteller and bibliotherapist. After that memorable experience with the children, I pushed my self to learn more about bibliotherapy by conducting research. I dream of one day, being able to write an academic paper about it. I also wish to present this paper to an audience and have it published in a journal

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...