Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Update on the 2014 Reading Challenge

One of the four teachers participating in the 2014 Reading Challenge has turned in her book review. 

The Elegance of the Hedgehogby Muriel Barbery 
I had heard about this book quite a bit in the past, so I was quite happy to have pulled it out of my book "can" before the long weekend.  
I have to admit, it took me a while to warm up to this story of a young girl and a concierge who live in a luxurious apartment building in Paris. I initially found both protagonists pretentious and perfect dictionary examples of reverse snobs.  
There was a bit of decent philosophical discussion happening in between their stories, which will make for fun pondering if you're into TOK. But otherwise, I only only began to enjoy this book when their mysterious Japanese neighbour arrives and you see another side to both women.  
The chapters are as light as a freshly baked croissant and are easily read over a plane ride or before visiting your dreams at night. It's also the kind of story that makes for fun discussions with others who've read it as well. 
As for me, I still have to read Bag of Bones by Stephen King as recommended by a grade 12 student. I'm in between two books now (on top of writing projects and library advocacy duties, I push myself to read fiction) so, I'll finish both then move on to Bag of Bones. To fulfill my promise, here's what the library is giving away for students who recommended books and for teachers who wrote a book review.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...