Cave and Shadows, by Nick Joaquin... "Barefoot in Fire: A World
War II Childhood" by Barbara-Ann Gamboa Lewis... "Cinco de
Noviembre," by Rene Javellana.... These are some of the books
that we will touch on in July. Just part of a whole seminar and
workhop on writing historical fiction and non-fiction for children
and young adults. Interested? Please read on.
"Putting the Story in History"
What : A seminar and workshop on writing historical fiction and non-fiction for children and young adults. This seminar and workshop is helpful to people writing historical fiction as well as those writing nonfiction, memoirs, or family histories
When : 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday July 15 and 8 a.m. to 12 noon Sunday July 16, 2006
Where : Orchid Garden Suites, 620 Pablo Ocampo Sr. Street, Malate (near the Sheraton)
Who : Chris Eboch, author and SCBWI Regional Advisor for New Mexico. Chris is the author of The Well of Sacrifice (Clarion Books, 1999), a middle grade historical adventure set in ninth century Guatemala. Kirkus Reviews called The Well of Sacrifice, "[An] engrossing first novel…. Eboch crafts an exciting narrative with a richly textured depiction of ancient Mayan society." www.chriseboch.com
Sessions will cover * What is Historical Fiction? The difference between historical fiction and history; what historical fiction can do; methods of historical research; how to explain painful truths such as historical violence and racism. * Set the Scene: Make history come alive through a vivid setting. * Dazzling Descriptions: Learn to paint the scene through a series of fun exercises. * Plotting and Pace: Use fact in your fiction to develop your idea into a plot, and learn how to balance historical details so the plot keeps moving. * Characters Kids Love: Build strong and realistic historical characters. * The Final Words: Learn to critique and edit your work, and to find markets; time for questions. Handouts include a character chart, critique questions, and a sample list of historical fiction books.
Stories from Philippine History : Chris' presentation will also touch on Philippine books including * Cave and Shadows, by Nick Joaquin * Barefoot in Fire: A World War II Childhood, by Barbara-Ann Gamboa Lewis * Only If You Can Find Me, by Patricia Laurel * The Batang Historyador series, from Adarna House * Cinco de Noviembre, by Rene Javellana * First Around the Globe: The Story of Enrique, by Marc and Reni Singer * And more
Registration : Download it here, keep a copy for your file, and submit directly to Beaulah, Nikki, or Ani. Or, send by fax to Ani at 372-3548 local 115. Or, email all the required information to email@example.com
Here is a sample of the form:
1. Name ______________________________________________
2. Occupation and affiliation if any _________________________
3. Mailing address ______________________________________
4. Email ______________________________________________
5. Landline ____________________________________________
6. Mobile _____________________________________________
7. Date and time you deposited your payment _______________
Payment * Check one option, Includes snacks and one lunch
[ ] P2000 if paid by June 10, 2006 (P1800 for SCBWI members)
[ ] P2350 if paid by June 30, 2006 (P2150 for SCBWI members)
[ ] P2700 if paid after June 30 (P2500 for SCBWI members)
* First come first served. Please text 0917-787-4956 before paying.
* This is your pre-paid, non-refundable but transferrable attendance fee. Please deposit the amount in BPI current - not savings - account 0335-8006-56. The account name is "Beaulah Taguiwalo and/or Ani Rosa Almario". Note : We need a copy of your deposit slip. You may scan or take a digital photo of it and email the jpeg file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can fax the deposit slip to Ani Almario at 372-3548 local 115, with your complete name printed in big block letters. Make sure that the date and time of deposit is clearly visible.
Important : Your registration is confirmed only after you receive an email and/or text message from us at the email address and mobile number that you gave above. Once your registration is confirmed, all you have to do is show up on July 15 at Orchid Garden Suites. It's at 620 Pablo Ocampo Sr. Street, Malate, Manila, Tel. 523-9836 or 523-9860, right beside the Sheraton Hotel. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before 8:00 a.m. and bring your original deposit slip with you.
* Nikki Garde-Torres
Asst. Regional Advisor, SCBWI
* Ani Rosa Almario
Asst. Regional Advisor, SCBWI
* Beaulah Taguiwalo
Regional Advisor, SCBWI