Monday, September 5, 2011

Filipino Librarian: Salvacion Dimzon

Salvacion "Salve" Dimzon, school librarian from Taguig, agreed to this interview for the blog. She has been very active in advocating library use and services through their organization, APSA-TAPAT (ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE SCHOOLS ADMINISTRATORS OF TAGUIG CITY AND PATEROS). Good work and good luck to Salve on the work they do in their side of the metro!

a. When and where did you graduate LIS?

May 4, 2011- Post Baccalaureate Degree in Library and Information Science (PBLIS) at Polytechnic University of the Philippines- Open University, Anonas St., Sta. Mesa, Manila.

December 14, 2011 – Master in Library and Information Science (MLIS) with a concentration in an Academic Library at Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Graduate School, M. H. del Pilar, Sta. Mesa, Manila

b. Why did you take up LIS?

Since my college years as a working student for four (4) assigned in different libraries in an academic institution (University of Negros Occidental Recoletos Library now Fray Luis de Deleon Library) aspire me to study and love this career. Also when my employer, Sto. Niño Catholic School hired me in 1996 as a school librarian, I have no choice but to really enroll in the field. Thanks to PUP-OU, I am given an opportunity to took up the librarian’s board exam after completing my PBLIS with them. Further, Mrs. Arabella M. Ananoria, Directress of UNO-R Libraries, one of my great mentors who really influenced my love for library works. That’s why despite that I am lone librarian here in the school of around 1200 preschoolers, grade-schoolers and high schools, the fire within me to serve them as efficiently as I could continue to flourish every day of my life.

c. What is your current LIS job?

My current LIS job is a school librarian at the same time a coordinator of Instructional Media Center of Sto. Niño Catholic School, Sampaloc St., Zone 1, Signal Village, Taguig City. I am here for more than 14 years now.


d. Identify the challenges you encountered and how did you overcome them?


There are a lot of challenges I encountered since SNCS employed me. First, the founder of this school, our school director then in 2006 put in my 201 file that I am going to make this library (our school library) THE BEST IN TAGUIG. It is really a big challenge to me. At first, I hesitated to accept the challenge given to me but in the long run I accepted it because it is a great opportunity given to me, that time I was just 22 years and I am very idealistic that I could achieve it if I am going to work hard. Then just last year, our school applied for a FAPE accreditation. When the accreditors interviewed me I impressed them with my professional affiliation, educational attainment and scholastic records. But I failed in the area of my library set-up. It was really an “eye sore” to accreditor. I make a narrative report of that interview and relay it to our admin. I thanked them a lot because just this May 2011 our library had a total renovation. It is not yet fully accomplished but I could say it is almost near for us to reach the vision of our founder. He is not connected here anymore, but I know he is happy knowing that I am still here and doing his projection 14 years ago. Only last Friday that I am done re-shelving and putting guides on my shelves for easy access. I overcome these challenges through the help of my colleagues in librarianship, our administrators, friends and family. Then the importance of attending a seminar-workshop, training, forum, and formal education helped a lot. Also Online Reading and research especially the PAARL Wiki, where the talks and presentations of previous seminar were posted for free for its members.

e. What has been the most satisfying experience of your LIS job so far?
The most satisfying experience of my LIS profession so far was when I am chosen by APSA-TAPAT to become their resource speaker in a TWO DAY ACADEMY WORKSHOP IN LIBRARY SKILLS FOR NON LIBRARIANS last May 27-28, 2011. It is my first time so I seek the help of experts like you to help me outline my presentation also professor Dante O. Perez and Prof. Rosa M. Vallejo. Thanks a lot I made it. It is very tedious, but upon knowing that I impart something to my participants made me more eager to reach out to them through the Facebook account I created. But after the seminar despite of so many messages I posted on our FB account up to this time no one of them contacted me for help (both in the skills I taught them and the Platonixz Libro System of Mr. Romy Sebastian). Maybe they absorbed everything I taught them and they are so busy right now applying what they have learned in that workshop or the other side- they do not do acquire something.

f. Tell us more about APSA-TAPAT - especially future projects.


APSA-TAPAT stands for ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE SCHOOLS ADMINISTRATORS OF TAGUIG CITY AND PATEROS DIVISION. It is composed of 50 – 100 MEMBER SCHOOLS. It is organizing different kinds of seminars to its member schools like SpEd, Librarians seminars just like we did last May 27-28, 2011. It is used as an arm of the division to unite the small and big schools in the area and to help these small schools. They value the importance of benchmarking and in sports it has APSA-TAPAT Athletic Meet. Then presently with the chairmanship of Dr. Helen S. Losbañes, the association acquired the support of Hon. Mayor Laarni Cayetano in supporting the Education sector. In our school we have 135 freshmen TLC (Taguig Learner’s Certificate) Scholars.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...