What began as an ARMY Glow Up project in 2022 has become a habit of meditation. I turn to cyanotype printing on days when I’m beat, anxious or unwell. And that’s what I did.
I must have caught something viral last weekend and now I’m nursing a bad cold, allergies and back pain. I’m not new to this so I pulled out my meds; took a leave off work; and slept as much as I can. Willing myself to feel better even more, I turned to my cyanotype kit and allowed the sun, water and time to heal me.
I have been waiting for the perfect sunlight, and a clear blue sky. There should be no wind at all.
Yesterday morning, all three converged. The time was just right! Thank you, Nature!
ARMY Daughter gave me flowers last Mother’s Day. I left some violet ones to dry in room temperature and they still look lovely. I’ve been meaning to catch them in light and in shadow. The moment arrived and the prints were beautiful.
And somewhere between arranging the flowers, waiting for the sun, watching the images slowly emerge in water, and simply being present with the process, I realized something: healing is not only found in medicine and rest. Sometimes, healing also happens when we make something with our hands. When we slow down enough to notice light, shadow, water, time, and the small transformations happening in front of us.
So, for Namjoon’s birthday month, I’m celebrating this little practice that began because of ARMY Glow Up and has grown into something much more personal: a way of pausing, breathing, making, and finding my way back to myself.
To make art is to pay attention. To pay attention is to be present. And sometimes, being present is its own kind of healing.
Thank you, Joon, for reminding us, in so many ways, to love ourselves, keep growing, and live well in this one beautiful life. May we all keep making little pockets of light.


No comments:
Post a Comment