Monday, January 22, 2024

My Life as a Teacher Librarian, Post COVID Era (1 of 3)

Peers from the Binan Library Association nominated me for the Outstanding Librarian of Binan Award. I completed the requirements last week and the part where I need to write an essay was a chance for reflection. Sharing them here in the blog.

1.       Exercise of Leadership

a.       Personal

I am committed to take good care of myself by practicing self-care and regular medical consultations, at least yearly, since I have a medical history of transient ischemic attack (mini-stroke). This medical condition motivates me to keep my routines healthy and to maintain a positive outlook in life by engaging in recreational activities that contribute to my mental and physical health. I have been immersed into clay and ceramic art; walking for fitness; art journaling and reading books read and recommended by my favorite Kpop group, BTS. Furthermore, my involvement as Youth Ministry lead in Magis Deo allows me to attend regular spiritual recollections and retreats that give me room for personal space and reflection.

 

b.       Professional

I have held leadership positions in the past in the Philippine Board on Books for Young People as its president (2006-2012). In my capacity as president, the PBBY and the National Book Development Board was able to hold and establish the first National Children’s Book Award and Kids Choice Award in 2012. In relation to my involvement in the PBBY as president, we were also able to conduct the first Storytelling Festival which was adapted and adopted by many learning communities. As librarian, I have been the head and coordinator of the Learning Resource Center of Xavier School (2006-2009). At present, I lead and manage the library operations and programming of the Beacon Academy Library. Our school has two programs namely, the DepEd Junior and Senior High School and the International Baccalaureate Programs. Following two different school library standards, one national and one international, requires leadership skills that are grounded locally but extends and expands globally. I have the opportunity to rise up to this leadership role with the support of the leadership of the Beacon Academy.

 

Lastly, I manage my professional growth as teacher librarian of the Academy and the learning community beyond Binan by writing academic papers and being published as a children’s book author yearly. My latest study is an academic paper on media and fandom culture analyzing the phenomenological processes involved in fangirling attitudes of teenagers and women in midlife, particularly Filipino ARMYs. I was fortunate to present this paper in the BTS Interdisciplinary Conference at the highly respected research university, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia in August 2023. I have completed the manuscript of seven retellings of Filipino Folk Tales for Children under Tuttle Publishing, an international publishing house with a line of Asian literature at its core. With the illustrator working on the drawings, illustrations and book design this year, 2024, we are hopeful to publish the book in 2025.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...