Friday, November 3, 2023

Step by Step with Teacher Zee: 10 Things I Learned With Teacher Zarah

This is a flex post.

I had a four day intensive workshop with a promising senior high school student who is applying for college in the US. Part of the college application requirement is for him to respond to a "prompt" in the form of a 500-600 word essay. On the last day of our session, I asked him to make a list on what he learned from the workshop which he can take with him in college and university studies.

Below is his Top Ten Things Learned from the essay writing workshop.

10 THINGS I LEARNED FROM TEACHER ZARAH!

-       The process of writing is essential.

-       The introduction and conclusion should “sandwich” the body.

-       Always remember to prewrite.

-       It is better to braindump then revise later on.

-       Make graphs and tables to guide the flow of the essay.

-       The introduction should include what the prompt is asking.

-       Writing is a form of art.

-       It takes time to write a good essay.

-       The focus must be seen throughout the whole essay.

-       Sentence structure is KEY (to being understood by an audience).


Before I met with my student, I talked to his parent and the direction they want to go on the college application. I also asked for samples of written work that served as an initial assessment for me. 

I enjoyed working with him on the essay as he is perceptive, driven and willing to be mentored and coached. I do hope he passes the entrance exams and requirements for his college of choice.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...