Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Ajooma Speaks: 2020 was My Kdrama Year (2 of 2)

CLOY has a very engaging story line, though predictable. The amazing actors all look good, well groomed, dressed appropriately to the role and aesthetically compelling. They always match the elaborate background, panoramic cinematography and enticing music of every scene. In most Kdramas, the lead characters’ arc or gradual development is the most exciting part. It seems that everyone is constantly evolving and continuously changing. By the end of the long but engaging series, any ordinary viewer would be able to relate to the endearing protagonist, realize an important life lesson and understand a truth about the human condition. SoKor film makers are good storytellers to combine all film elements in one enjoyable show.

As a fan, I can effectively plot and differentiate each of the Kdramas by closely looking at the theme, characters and their development, problem and solution and ending or closure.



Who would have thought someone like me would be a fan of Kdramas? When my friend learned about my new fascination and leisure activity, she reminded me of that time when she felt alone as she was the only one watching Kdramas among us. I assured her that she now has a fan to talk to about the interesting themes and awe inspiring aesthetics of Kdramas. She looked at me with a half smile on her face and said, “but with you, it was not a matter of if-she-ever-watches-Kdrama-moment. It was a question of when. When will you watch Kdrama? I know you will come around.” With that, we both laughed at the memory.


I was definitely hooked watching Kdramas during the quarantine. The amazing thing is, all four of us - my husband and our two children watch it now. We all have our personal favorites, but it is Goblin that we would re-watch on days when we want to see something epic. We all have our reasons different as they may be, it brings us together. My daughter loves the discussion of destiny and faith. My son enjoys the music and the official soundtrack. I love looking at the scenes. They are visual narratives where I discover layers of meaning that are not expressed through dialogues. As for my husband, he watches with us for moral support.


I love the happy endings, if not the triumph of overall goodness against evil or adversity. I love it because I believe in happy endings, in goodness and in persevering over hardships. I watch it when I want to escape the bad news all around especially during this time of the pandemic. I have to thank my friends for this.


Reflecting more on my fascination with Kdramas, I realize that I learned two things from this experience. The first is to hold off personal judgment and assumptions. The second is to be more open to new things outside my comfort zone. I definitely am learning about Korean culture and literature from watching Kdramas. This is an opportunity to appreciate others and understand their humanity that is common to mine.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...