CALL FOR ENTRIES
The Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY) is now accepting entries for the 2019 PBBY-Alcala Prize. The winner shall be given a cash prize of PHP25,000.00, a medal, and an opportunity to be published. Prizes will be awarded in an appropriate ceremony to be held during the celebration of National Children’s Book Day on July 16, 2019.
Entries must be received by the PBBY Secretariat and time-stamped no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 7, 2019.
1. The contest is open to all Filipino citizens except those who are related to any PBBY member up to the third degree of consanguinity.
2. Entries must be based on the 2019 PBBY-Salanga Prize winning piece of creative nonfiction, A Delicate Strength: The Story and Art of Araceli Limcaco Dans by Gabriela Lee.
3. A copy of the creative nonfiction piece may be downloaded through the PBBY website (https://pbby.org.ph/).
4. All entries must be original, unpublished illustrations that have not won in any previous contest.
5. All entries must consist of three (3) illustrations that are of the same size, two of which are colored, in sequence, and rendered in the same medium. The third spread should be a rough sketch of any other spread.
Contestants are free to determine how to distribute the text for their spreads, bearing in mind that the interaction of art and text is an important criterion of the contest.
6. A contestant may send in more than one (1) entry.
7. Each entry must be signed by a pen name only, preferably on a small piece of paper pasted on the back of each artwork. Entries with a signature or any identifying marks are automatically disqualified.
8. Together with each entry, contestants must submit a separate envelope, on the face of which only the pen name of the contestant shall appear. The envelope must contain the contestant’s full name, address, contact numbers, short description of background, and notarized certification vouching for the originality of the entry and for the freedom of the organizers from any liability arising from the infringement of copyright in case of publication. A format of the certification may be downloaded through the PBBY website (https://pbby.org.ph/).
9. All entries must be sent to the PBBY Secretariat, c/o Adarna House, 109 Scout Fernandez cor. Scout Torillo Sts., Brgy. Sacred Heart, Quezon City by June 7, 2019. Entries may be submitted in person or by courier service.
10. Winners will be announced no later than June 21, 2019. Non-winning entries must be claimed no later than August 16, 2019 after which they will no longer be the responsibility of the organizers.
For more details, interested parties may contact PBBY by calling 3526765 local 204 or emailing secretariat [at] pbby.org.ph.
Here is the link to the winning story and certification template.
A Delicate Strength: The Story and Art of Araceli Limaco Dans by Gabriela Lee https://drive.google.com/open?id=195zkWDYLSzKRaUCWHO46ttvGmiLNtmuj
The certification template: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RCTTvs5V6uPD3GZwh_416PgKhPdQadOX