Monday, April 8, 2019

Illustrator of the Month: Jonathan Rañola

Jonathan Rañola and I had our book launched last Septemeber 2018 during the Manila International Book Fair. However, it is only now that I am featuring this interview with him in the blog. He shares with us his approach and style in illustrating Ino the Invincible (Lampara Books, 2018) and works of artists he admires. He also has tips for aspiring artists who dream of breaking into children’s book illustration.

1. What was your approach (creative process) in illustrating the story, Ino the Invincible? 

When  I was given the transcript and read the story of Ino,  I was visualizing a book that has lots of touches of nostalgia.  Coming from an all-boys school,  I can definitely identify with Ino’s school life, like hanging out in the library or doing school projects and activities with the whole class.  I intentionally made my images with touches of monotone to project the image of nostalgia in every scene.   I also applied the idea of spot-color,  that is why, page after page,  Ino is the only character that is in full color.  This is to stress that he is the main character and  to focus and  highlight   his uniqueness and importance in the story.  Proper research using books, the internet and videos were used and reviewed to add accuracy in the representations.  I also used my favorite medium in illustration, pen and ink with watercolor so that I  could translate my ideas to actual images.  




2. What challenges did you encounter in illustrating the story? How did you overcome or break these challenges? 

To tell you the truth,  doing Ino the Invincible was a breeze. Maybe because, as I said earlier,  I could  identify  and see the commonness of the situations and surroundings of Ino.   I really enjoyed doing the different scenes in the book, and being  the illustrator,  I try to add and create different stories in every scene.  The only actual challenge of illustrating Ino is that I have to be totally faithful with the written text and accurately illustrate the basketball moves that are being described in the narrative. The solution is to do a lot of research on the different basketball uniforms from the past to the present and the plays and moves of the game.  Also, some scenes require a lot of characters, and I have to show the  different personalities of each.  There are also some group or crowd scenes, which are quite difficult to illustrate.  But overall,  I am satisfied with the end-result of my illustrations.  




3. What tips or advise can you give aspiring artists?

For young and aspiring artists,  my best advice is to follow their dreams; do not be influenced  by peer-pressure or be dictated by  people that surrounds you.  Create an impressive portfolio of works.   Draw a lot and make things that you like or that inspire you.  It is also important to create your own style that will be your branding in the field of illustration.   Making your own mark by creating images that will be identified and established as yours.    Furthermore, never be insecure with the works of others.  

In the world of illustration,  clients approach you for the style and aesthetics of your works.  When they come to you, mostly are already familiar with the style of your work.  Besides, there will always be a lot of narratives to illustrate.




4. Give three picture books/story books you wish you had illustrated and Why? 

First is “Where The Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sendak.   He is one of my favorite book illustrator and I have always been fascinated with his charming works.  Like Maurice, my favorite medium to use for illustrating is pen and ink with watercolor.  

Second is “Dick Whittington and His Cat” by Marcia Brown.  How I wish I could also make  a book using Linocut as medium.  Linocut is a technique in printing which uses a sheet of linoleum.  A design is cut in the surface  using carving  tools, then inked and printed on paper. Her works are very graphic and I am fascinated with lines that are manually carved that creates highlights and depth in the figures of her illustration.   

Lastly my favorite book is “Columbus” by Ingri d'Aulaire and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire.   I have never heard of this husband and wife illustrators before.  I just discovered their book in a thrift shop.  The book was really old, but when I saw their work,  I instantly fell in love with their aesthetics and how contemporary their vision in creating children’s book.  They are great inspirations for my work in book illustration as well as in my works in painting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...