Saturday, March 30, 2019

When Stories and Storytelling Heal

My recent workshop on bibiotherapy, Storytelling for Growth and Healing at the Lampara Office in JRich Corporate Center, was a casual and intimate session that explored the reader’s response to stories. It was an introduction to bibliotherapy, its process and practice, an encounter with stories both personal and universal, and the value of the arts to one’s mental health. I had the wonderful opportunity to meet new people, mostly teachers and professionals in the education sector. To my surprise, we had a senior high shool student who was there and was a very engaged participant.



Everyone settled into the workshop easily since we had the Penthouse all to ourselves. Being there established the mood and the tone of openess, a willingness to learn and the courage to try out new things. Of the many activities we had, it was the story writing and zine making activity that allowed the participants to be brave and to step out of their comfort zones. 

Here is a feedback by Ma. Roselle Luzuriaga Cajucom which she posted on her Facebook Page a few hours after the workshop.

“It was a dream come true meeting Ms. Zarah Gagatiga... It’s been a day full of fun, activity, realizations, inspirations and learnings. And I brought back home a one step more confident me by taking the courage to speak and narrate my piece infront of her ( I was shaking cold but felt kilig too). 

Looking forward for another workshop with you Ms. Zarah! Thank you and GOD Bless!”



Getting feedback like this inspires me more to improve the design of the workshop. I too learn from the participants. I thank my publisher, Lampara Books and its hardworking  staff, most especially Aiko Salazar, for always giving me the opportunity to further expand my knowlegde and build on new skills. I am looking at a follow-up workshop and if you are up for it, I hope to see you again soon before 2019 ends!

Happy reading and keep telling stories!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...