Thursday, March 14, 2019

Singapore Sunshine

I flew in Singapore this morning along with three colleagues from the Beacon Academy. We are here for four days to attend the International Baccalaureate Asia Pacific (IBAP) Workshop at the Canadian International School. I will attend the librarians workshop while my three colleagues will attend their respective teachers sessions.

This is my second time in Singapore. I was here back in 2002 for the Storytelling Congress.

That experience was life changing. It was then that I realised the difference between reading aloud and storytelling. And so, while preparing for the trip a few weeks before the flight, I got in touch with Sheila Wee of the Storytellers Association Singapore (SAS) to touch base with her. She has been very active in the storytelling movement here and was a mover during the early years of the SAS.

Sadly, the meet-up didn’t push through. But Sheile made sure, I will be taken good care of . So she encouraged Swee Yean and Panna Kantilal to meet me for dinner instead. 

We did. It was like meeting old friends when in fact, it was my first time to personally meet Swee and meet Panna after seventeen long years! This is how things go with storytellers. More on the details of our conversation in upcoming posts.

Needless to say, this state city with its stringent rules, welcomed me once more with smiles and sunshine!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...