Monday, July 3, 2023

Step by Step With Teacher Zee: Modeling Writing the KWL-I Strategy

One approach I use in teaching writing to children is modeling writing. I write as they write. We all write. It is a show-and-tell approach and students need to pay attention. I explain the process and show the product as I go. After this, they are given worksheets and specific tasks modeled by me. Then, they write.

Thus, when I modeled the KWL-I chart as strategy to prepare for writing, my students were able to follow through. They were also able to organize information for their topics. Filtering and narrowing down topics are skills that they need to learn more and practice. Aha! A possible workshop to do sometime next year.

Here is an example of the writing I do in class.



Students write their knowledge of their chosen topic. They move on to knowledge they want to know and learn. The next step is to gather information. This now becomes a lesson on research which is part of writing too.

Using the KWL-I chart, students organize information they sourced from online resources. Basic bibliography is taken up in the modeling session and emphasized as responsible writing. An task that defines integrity in academic writing and in accomplishing any given work.

In this part of the chart, I show and explain quick fixes in citations and note taking. There is so much information to take in so, I pace my students through the entire exercise by providing them with 5 minute break in between tasks and front loading. Since I am modeling the process, I allow them to work on their own and present their output to class one part after the other. 

Reading aloud gives them the opportunity to review their work. At this point, we give feedback on each other's work for improvement.

I will be posting the Beginning-Middle-End Framework next!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...