Friday, February 17, 2023

Teacher and Librarian Collaboration: How to Find Sources (Research Skills Instruction Grade 9)

I spent Valentine's Day teaching our grade 9 students the basics of Finding Sources. Thanks to our English teacher who recognizes the role of the school librarian in enriching and expanding student's understanding on the use of sources. As the topic falls under academic reading and writing, I asked for the texts that students were assigned to read. 

The English teacher sent me two articles selected from research journals. So, last weekend, I rolled up my sleeves and went to work. My goal was to lay the foundation of location and access. I planned a review of the different sources of information and the parts of a book - the printed format. Documenting the bibliographic data of a book source was the hands-on activity of choice.

I was amazed and inspired, and yes, a little bit insecure to approach the teaching of sources in this level of difficulty and sophisticated thinking. I am still in awe working alongside skilled and competent teachers.

The coolest thing about this teaching collab was the return of the students to the library!

The English teacher engaged students in the conversion of questions and statements of inquiry into language that can be used in searching sources in print and online formats. As the school’s teacher librarian, I facilitated a session where students apply skills and strategies in finding, locating and accessing information from curated collections of sources and followed through. Further assisting students in their journey of inquiry.

Waiting for the day when content or subject area teachers strike up collaborations with us, literacy skills teachers.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...