Monday, April 12, 2021

In Support of Academic Writing: Revising and Editing

We continue to support our junior high students in their research journey. Recently, I posted in the Google Classroom supplementary materials on revising and editing sentences. This is in part of the Masterclass sessions they get on Academic Writing. I am sharing the materials I sent to students.

What made an impression on you from the Masterclass on Academic Register? Speaking for myself, I am still thinking about the way I write sentences and the hard work that comes with revising them afterwards. As a blogger, author of children's books and researcher, I am continuously challenged to make my writing cohesive and clear. Keeping in mind that I have to communicate my ideas as organized as possible. This is a lot of work.

When I revise and edit my work, I still refer to references and resources (yes, being a librarian has its advantages). I ask a friend to read my work and welcome feedback. This helps a lot! When I go back to my work to make improvements, I am once again reminded that the responsibility of communicating ideas clearly in writing falls on my shoulders.

Riding on the belief that you have companions in the EE/SP journey, I am sharing with you this handout on Improving Sentence Fluency (ThoughtfulLearning, 2021).

The handout is only three pages long. It has a brief but substantial explanation on sentence lengths. It shows examples on how short, medium and long sentences come together in one paragraph. Take note of the choppy vs. smooth sentence samples. Ah, the big difference a well written sentence can make! I encourage you to do the drills and activities. I was able to use editing skills from this part of the handout. Lastly, the tips and reminders in writing smooth and fluent sentences are skills you can apply when writing across subjects.

So give this handout a try! Don't you think it supports and enriches ideas, concepts and strategies we are all learning from the Masterclass?

Your reading and research companion,

Ms. Zarah :-)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...