Monday, April 27, 2020

Kuwentong Musmos Author Interview: Janina Marie Rivera


·        

Janina Marie Rivera is the author of Kaya ni Mina, illustrated by Cy Vendivil and published by Hiyas-OMFLit. This is her first children's book under the Kuwentong Musmos Project of Room to Read in cooperation with Adarna House. Know what led Janina in the Philippine Children's Book industry.

Why are you writing for children?

Honestly, this is a difficult question for me  because most of my writing has been for an older audience-- a young adult audience, and I know that YA is my niche. So when the invitation came to me from Hiyas to write a children's book for RTR,  I was surprised.

My book with Hiyas and RTR, Kaya ni Mina, is my first children's book.

What is your Philippine Children’s Literature origin story? (How did you start writing for kids and getting published)

Even if I feel I'm more of a young adult writer,  I certainly do like children's literature. When I was in college, I was drawn to children's literature--to the point that for my thesis, I decided to analyze a certain Philippine children's anthology of short stories.

Also, if I were to go back to my childhood, I can say that I grew up with tons of children's books around me, so I am aware of the influence a children's book has on personal values and knowledge. (Plus, I really enjoyed the books that had pictures, or that expected me to do things like insert stickers on them.) 

I started writing for kids because of RTR and Hiyas' invitation.

Give three words or phrase to describe your Kuwentong Musmos Workshop experience.

Engaging. Encouraging. Enlivening

What is the book you wish you had written and why?

I still want a crack at my draft about the Aetas. But another book I'd like to write will be one that could help children with questions like "Why do bad things (like getting sick!) happen to good people?"

What advice or tips can you give aspiring children’s book writers?

Be humble. Learn from others. Explore the world as much as you can. Just because you write for kids doesn't mean that you can't go into deep topics or difficult world issues.

Janina Marie Rivera is the author of A Night Bird Sings of Blindness and Fear, published by OMF Literature, and is one of the authors of the devotional,  Dawns, and a poet in the collection, Joyful Light. Recently, she wrote the children's book, Kaya ni Mina, published by Hiyas and Room to Read. Outside of book writing, Janina is an English teacher at Enfuego Christian Academy and the Editor-in-Chief of One Voice Magazine, an online Christian magazine for young adults. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...