Thursday, March 12, 2020

Kuwentong Musmos Author Interview: Lauren Macaraeg


In the succeeding days and weeks, the blog will have interviews of authors and illustrators of Room to Read's Kuwentong Musmos Book Project. Get to know them! Be inspired! I hope that by reading their stories and their creative journeys, you will be moved to create something beautiful and wonderful for children of all ages.

I have asked all four of the authors published by Lampara Books to this interview, as well as the four illustrators. To start the ball rolling, as they say, here is Lauren Macaraeg's interview. Her book in the Kuwentong Musmos project is Kiko Kitikiti illustrated by Luis "ito" Chua.

1. Why are you writing for children?

I love writing stories for children for three main reasons: a love for children's books, a desire for creative expression, and a wish to give kids hope.

First, I've been an enthusiastic reader of kid's books myself, since I was a child up to now that I'm an adult (but still a kid-at-heart!). It was only a natural outcome that I wished to create children's books myself.

Second, children's literature is the perfect outlet for a creative person like me. I'm free to make flights of fantasy when writing stories for young readers because there is no limit to the genre in terms of imagination.

Last but not least, I wish to give hope to kids by writing children's books in the same way that reading books gave me hope when I was a kid. The books I've read have been instrumental to my mental health recovery and healing, especially when I was an adolescent struggling with depression. Now, all the books I write, even if they have different topics, have one thing in common: they are all about hope and creativity in the midst of challenging situations.

For instance, my latest book, KIKO KITIKITI (Author: Lauren V. Macaraeg. Illustrator: Ito/Luis Chua), is about an energetic young boy who proves to the world that he is a superhero even if he has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). KIKO KITIKITI, is one of the 20 children's books recently published by Room to Read, an international NGO that promotes reading among young readers, in partnership with our publisher Lampara Books, and other local publishers, Adarna House, Anvil Publishing and OMF Literature/Hiyas.

2. How did you break out into the children's book industry?

While I've been creating my own books for fun since I was a kid, I was able to officially break out into the children's book industry after I joined and won the grand prize award at the 1st Annual Lampara Books Children’s Story Writing Contest in 2011. SINEMADYIKA, my story entry for that contest, got published as my first book by Lampara Books in 2013. And last February 2020, my fourth book, KIKO KITIKITI, was also published by Lampara Books, along with four other amazing books by Lampara writers and illustrators, under Room to Read's Kuwentong Musmos book project.



3. Give three words or phrase to describe your Kuwentong Musmos Workshop experience?

Big Honor. “Kasali ba talaga ako diyan?!” I wondered when I first saw the powerhouse list of the authors from Adarna House, Anvil Publishing, OMF Literature and Lampara Books who would be participating in Room to Read's writers' workshop in Bohol last September 29-October 4, 2019. Na-starstruck ako! It's a big honor to be able to work and collaborate with brilliant and talented people from the Philippine children's publishing industry: all the writers, illustrators, publishers, editors, designers, mentors and organizers with a heart for Filipino children. Special mention to our Team Lampara who played a huge role in shaping my story, to Ito Chua whose beautiful illustrations brought KIKO KITIKITI to life, and to Sir Segundo “Jun” Matias and Ms. Aiko Salazar for inviting me to participate in the project. And of course, it's a great honor to partner with Room to Read, whose vision and generosity made this book project possible in the first place.

Big Challenge. “Pupunta kaya ako?” I asked myself as I decided if I should go to the workshop or not. My grandmother went home to be with the Lord a day before I received the invitation to the writer's workshop so I was still grieving at that time. While I finally chose to go in the end, I continued to face my own personal challenges at the Bohol workshop, including grief and health struggles, so I had to make an extra effort to act and work like my usual bubbly self. And of course, there were also general challenges that most of us writers faced, such as the tight writing deadlines, nerve-wracking selection process and word count limits (at dahil wordy ang karamihan sa amin, hirap na hirap kaming magbawas ng salita sa kuwento lol). Still, the unexpected miracle of being able to complete and publish a book in spite of all the challenges of 2019 and 2020 made the fruit of our labor so much sweeter.

Big Blessing. “Some of the kids who will receive your books will be holding and owning a book for the very first time,” shared Sir Al Santos, Room to Read's Book Publishing Manager for Southeast Asia, during our writers' workshop. I got goosebumps! Like most of my fellow authors and illustrators, I also wish to be able to encourage Pinoy kids to read books. Yet there is only so much I can do as an individual person, given my limited resources and energy. That's why it was a heaven-sent opportunity to be part of Room to Read's Kuwentong Musmos book project, which aims to promote literacy among less privileged Filipino children all over the country. It's a big blessing from the Lord Jesus to be able to be part of this book project!


4. What is the book you wish you had written and why?

I really wish I wrote the Percy Jackson book series by Rick Riordan! Aside from creating witty, relatable young characters, Riordan was able to write captivating stories that seamlessly combine ancient Greek mythology and modern-day fun. I hope I could also write similar YA books someday that will help Filipino children appreciate and enjoy Philippine mythology.

5. Your 5 tips for aspiring children's book writers.

1) Read! Read! Read! The best inspiration to write children's books is to read children's books.

2) Just write. Don't wait for the perfect time, mood or circumstances before you start writing. Just do it.

3) Be a storyteller, not a preacher. Don't preach moral lessons. Just write a good story. Your kiddie readers will get your message. They're smarter than we give them credit for.

4) Be your own editor. Proofread your own work again and again.

5) Write about the things that are close to your heart. The only way to inflame young readers with your passion is if you yourself are passionate about what you write.

Lauren loves to dance and is currently enjoying Zumba sessions. Visit her blog and website http://laurenmacaraeg.com.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...