Saturday, June 30, 2018

Book Review: A Reaper at the Gates

A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3)A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There are three words to describe this book. Magic. Mayhem. Murder. The same three words I used for books 1 and 2. I am adding a fourth word for this third installment —mothers, which makes reading Reaper all the more difficult for me.

It is an exciting read, for sure, and it had me surprised and disappointed at some points in the novel. But, it is Sabaa Tahir’s explorations and presentations of mothers of all kinds and the many ways women can mother children not their own that moved me to tears. The human heart is only as big as a fist and a mother's can accommodate an entire world. Women are amazing beings and reading this book amplified it more so.

How a novel written for young adult readers can affect me like this is magic indeed. When is the fourth book coming out?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...