Friday, March 31, 2017

Media and Information Literacy in the Philippines & #milclicks

Since December of 2016, I have been engaged in discussions to contribute a little bit of what I know and of what I practice in the school library on Media and Information Literacy (MIL) with the Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication (AIJC) through Mr. Joseph Marmol Yap, being the lead librarian in the steering committee. AIJC has done a great job of drafting a position paper on Media and Information Literacy.

Yesterday, the draft was presented to a group of professionals representing agencies and institutions in the private and government sectors that have a stake on the development and monitoring of Media and Information Literacy (MIL) directions and programs. The process has been very consultative and the draft, as far as I can see and say, is well crafted. Hopefully, this position paper gets the traction necessary for lead agencies and supporting institutions to operationalize MIL in the country.

It is still too early for me to reveal the documents we read and perused, but, rest assured that we will share these developments in our sector and allied professionals. What I can share with you are my "takeaways" from the round table discussion.

Takeaway #1 - I am glad to see an initiative to develop policies and frameworks of MIL with recommended strategies of implementation on a national level. In 2002, when MIL was still IL, librarians have started learning what it is all about. It was an isolated venture. What I learned of IL over the years is that, it is effective when it is anchored in a concept, a subject area and/or a context that is real and authentic to the experience of learners.

Takeaway #2 - The consultation meetings and round table discussions were composed of representatives from key institutions and agencies in the government and private sectors. The implementation of MIL is a concerted effort and each agency and institution has a role to play. This effort is a long time coming but now is the better time to come together to redeem and salvage this country.

Takeaway #3 - When IL was still a new concept I was trying to wrap my head around it, I asked myself two questions: How can IL be implemented in the school library? What are the roles of libraries and librarians in the growth and development of IL? I see IL then as a way of thinking. It is made up of skills yes, and very cognitive at that. But such skills are best applied in daily life and in endeavors that prompt real and authentic learning.

Takeaway #4 - It's funny because, I still ask myself the same questions now that UNESCO merged media literacy with information literacy. It only goes to show that learning never ends.

Takeaway #5 - There is such a thing as #milclicks. This is a social media campaign of UNESCO for MIL awareness and development. Go check this out for yourself, because I sure will!

PLUS: The National Archives welcomes visitors!

These are but my initial thoughts, afterthoughts and reflections. There will be more to write about MIL in future posts. For now, I leave you with thie very popular African proverb. It takes a village to raise a child. The library is part of that village!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...