Friday, September 7, 2012

My Life as a Librarian (3 of 3)


Here is part three of the interview questions Mr. Egipto sent me to answer. Those in red would mean that I have answered the question in a previous set (see part 2) I do find his questions repetitive. I could not help but ask myself if these are questions for a psychological test to measure my truthfulness or a set of questions for a LIS (Library and Information Science) course. Anyways, I answered because, I do not wish to snuff the hope out of younger LIS students. Lastly, there are questions that are vague. Again, I am extending my patience seeing this as an opportunity for younger LIS students to learn.

What kind of things do you feel most confident in doing?

Is this in the context of library work or about life in general?

Can you describe for me a difficult obstacle you have had to overcome? How did you handle it? How do you feel this experience affected your personality or ability?

Again, is this in the context of library work or life in general?

What do you think are the most important characteristics & abilities a person must possess to become a successful librarian? How do you rate yourself in these areas?

A successful librarian must be a lifelong learner. I can not rate myself because lifelong learning is a philosophy that changes every life cycles. As a belief system, it is also subjective. Lifelong learning can never be measured by a rating scale.

In your work experience, what have you done that you consider truly creative?

I tell stories. I write. These are creative pursuits. It takes time to master these arts. I can not say I am a master of these arts.

Can you think of a problem you have encountered when the old solutions didn't work & when you came up with new solutions?

Too general, it renders vagueness or ambiguity. Please rephrase the question.

Of your creative accomplishments big or small as a librarian, what gave you the most satisfaction?

The sincere response from children after a storytelling session lends the most satisfaction. Their stark honesty is also appreciated. Children are better at telling the truth. Then again, our children learn to tell lies and give out flattery from us, adults. 

What kind of problems has people or library patron recently called on you to solve? Tell me what you have devised.

Resourcing instructional materials are common requests. I approach the work bottom-up. This means, I ask questions from the library patron pertaining to his or her needs to help him or her narrow subjects, key words. Then I search for information in the library, the nearest neighboring library or info center, and if still needed, ask help from bigger libraries.

What organizations do you belong to?

PBBY. IASL. PASLI. PLAI. PNULISSA. KUTING. Lit Critters. Sambat Trust. Sa Aklat Sisiskat Foundation. Magis Deo Community. I also sing in the choir. 

Tell me specifically what activities are you participating in your organization? (Leading questions in selected areas. i.e. sports, economics, current events, finance.)

Google all the organizations I named and you will have an idea on the activities these organizations do.

What is your professional goal?

Do you have a long & short-term plan for your department? Is it realistic?

I design a strategic plan for the library that spells out the library's vision, mission and goals and identifies specific programs, services and activities. These are evaluated periodically.

Did the programs or activities that you want to implement for the last year was accomplished?

Yes and no. It would be impossible that all library activities to accomplish in a year. That is UNREALISTIC.

What are your top priorities as a librarian?

Library users. Collection. Budget and support from leaders. Library Services and Programs. Evaluation of library work and staff. Staff training. Linkages and networking. Community development through libraries.

What are your standards of success in your job?

I base my standards on the DepEd School Library Guidelines of 2011 and the IFLA - UNESCO School Library Guidelines.

In your position, how would you define doing a good job? On what basis was your definition determined?

A good job is accomplished when it meets the standards set by the school and the existing DepEd School Library Guidelines and IFLA - UNESCO School Library Guidelines. There are also assessment and evaluation for library staff that the school's Human Resource Office set up and implement. These are used to measure " a good job". Personally, a good job would mean one's communication with his or her God at the end of the day, telling God of all the ups and downs he or she experienced in the day. Seeing that there are graces and blessing despite the "downs".

In your present job what approach do you take to get your people together to establish a common approach to a problem?

I wish to answer this on a separate blog post, as it deals with people management.

What specifically do you do to set an example for your employees?

I try my best to WALK my TALK.

How frequently do you meet with your immediate subordinates as a group?

Supervision is cyclical and regular. There are weekly meetings and different measures to assess a library staff. There are also work and that need follow up every day. People also work in different ways and manners. So, different ways of approaching them nay be done. But, a common or standard set if rules and guidelines must be present for all to follow.

How do you get people who do not want to work together to establish a common approach to a problem?

STRESS TOLERANCE
Do you feel pressure in your job? Tell me about it.

Yes. But, to be explicit about it, I think you need to invite me to your class as lecturer on Library Management to be able to answer this question well.

What has been the highest pressure situation you have been under in recent years? How did you cope with it?

Same answer as the above.

Describe your most significant success & failure in the last two years.
As a librarian what do you like to do best?
As a librarian what do you like to do least?

INTEREST IN SELF DEVELOPMENT
What kind of books & other publications do you read?

I read anything. Even crap.

How are you helping your subordinates develop themselves?

My staff and I design a supervisory plan.

Is there any time that you would refuse to answer a patronĂ­s request? Why?

Library patrons are important. I take time in listening and speaking with them. This can be tiring, but this is one way to break the librarian stereotype.

1 comment:

hitokirihoshi Jr said...

Hi Ma’am! I’m searching about Manila International Book fair kaya napadpad po ako rito. First time kong makakakita ng blog na ang blogger ay isang librarian so naging interesado ako sa inyong pagsagot kay Mr. Egipto.
Reading your answers stir my understanding about library and your profession. To be honest, nagsimula lang ata akong mag- library noong college dahil mas tahimik doon at dami kong natutuhan pasok o labas man sa itinuturo sa amin sa klase. Minsan ko na rin naisip na maging assistant sa library pero naisip ko gusto ko lang siyang gawin pero hindi maging trabaho habang buhay.
Sa inyong mga sagot at opinyon, mas naunawaan ko ang propesyon ninyo na hindi ito basta-basta. Opo base na lang din sa pagbabasa ay nararamdaman ko na ang inyong dedication at passion sa inyong trabaho.
Gustuong-gusto ko po ang mga sagot ninyong ito
“Another difficulty that librarians deal with is the stereotype of the library as a warehouse, and the librarian as custodian. Librarians need to advocate the profession as a relevant profession.”
“I am a reader. I read a lot. Reading is the easiest and most accessible way to grow professionally."
“A successful librarian must be a lifelong learner. I can not rate myself because lifelong learning is a philosophy that changes every life cycles. As a belief system, it is also subjective. Lifelong learning can never be measured by a rating scale.”

Hindi man bilang isang future na librarian, na-inspire po ako sa mga post ninyo lalo na magbasa at ma-appreciate bawat pagpunta ka sa library noon at sa hinaharap. Mabuhay po kayo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...