Saturday, May 5, 2012

The 1st Klasrum Adarna Early Childhood Education Conference

I had a wonderful storytelling workshop with preschool teachers at the 1st Klasrum Adarna Early Childhood Education Conference this morning. The positive response from teachers was automatic. From the moment I told them that I started out as a preschool teacher to the last slide of my PowerPoint, they were all ears, engaged and inspired.

It feels so good to touch base with teachers through storytelling. I met friends from CENTEX, Right Start Foundation and former co-teachers from Xavier School.

My workshop program opened with gangsa playing and me singing Salidommay. I asked teachers what they are thankful for: family, good health, friends, being alive. These I incorporated in the song. It wasn't difficult for teachers to hum and join in the singing. One participant mentioned how the gangsa is used for rituals and celebrations. I segued to storytelling as a ritual and a celebration. She smiled. I think she figured what the gangsa has to do with storytelling.

After this, I gave a group activity where teacher participants got to know each other better. Then, I processed the activity to move into my input on storytelling, its relevance and purpose. From there, we moved on to workshop proper which they enjoyed the most. I provided samples of various storytelling forms and techniques. Storytelling as a creative art form is not limited to one style. The storyteller is an artist who can experiment and push the limit of conventions.

I ended the session with a presentation on a storytelling program that can be used in classroom instruction and practice.

1 comment:

Bernard Atkinson said...

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
mba essay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...