Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Sad Little Fact: An Open Letter to Penguin Random House Canada

This is my request to Penguin Random House Canada. Please make the ebook version of The Sad Little Fact, available to customers in the Philippines. I am a Filipino teacher librarian and I teach information literacy. I am also a trainer, facilitator and resource speaker for teachers and librarians. This book is one of my recommended reads for teachers and school librarians. With this book and the use of the appropriate teaching methods we can battle fake news and misinformation with information literacy skills instruction for K-12 learners.

Specifically, I am going to use this book as my springboard for my plenary session at the Reading Association of the Philippines National Demofest on October 29, 2019 where more than 200 teachers will convene to converse and discuss issues on multiple literacy skills instruction. I am going to read it aloud using Kindle or iBook. But there are restrictions in access. Our opportunity to engage in Jonah Winter’s story as one community is lost.

Of course I can use a different book. Of course I can download the YouTube videos of the book being read aloud. But I don’t want to do that.

I want to own the book.
I want to share the book.
I want to read the book aloud.
I am a reader.
This is my choice.
My choice is to read the book, The Sad Little Fact by Jonah Winter.

Please, Penguin Random House Canada, help me help others love books and reading. Help me help others teach Information Literacy. Please make the ebook available to customers in the Philippines.

Zarah Gagatiga
Teacher Librarian, Filipino

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...